Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees  

Go Back   Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees > Home Fruit & Nut Growing > Pest & Disease Prevention

Old 02-02-2011, 06:51 PM

Default Dormant Spray

I have high density plantings of Peach, Pluots, Apple, Asian Pear, Plum and Nectarines. Previous years I have used Kop-R-Spray both in January and again right before bud break and have still had Peach Leaf Curl. This year I would like to apply dormant oil as well as one of my peach trees showed signs of a “borer” activity. My Apple and Asian Pear have had a few instances of Fire Blight which I have tried to keep under control by removing the damaged branches when it's visible.

I have done some research trying to find the right product(s) that I can apply to all of my trees so I don’t have to have a special formulation for each tree. Several sources refer to Bordeaux Mixture which appears to be a combination of copper and lime-sulfur. Others say that either copper alone or lime-sulfur alone does a good job.

I have been able to find Lime-Sulfur, Copper-Count-N, and Omni Supreme Spray at a local nursery. I am looking for a recommendation on which (if any) of these products would be best suited for my application.

If climate matters, I am in the San Franscisco Bay Area.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 AM

hey i usually wait until june to spray for leaf curl when i see symtoms, i use Serenade, an organic bacterial spray that attacks the cause of leaf curl and other diseases. smells kinda funny but that dissapates quickly. being in a maritime climate you may want to spray earlier, at foliation, but you might just be wasting your time with dormant sprays for fungus. Almost all young peach trees will have leaf curl pretty bad, but as the tree matures a little, this problem should subside substantially. hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Default peach leaf curl control

Spraying in June for leaf curl is a total waste of time and material. Treatment is only effective before bud swell. Recommended treatment is after leaf fall and before buds begin to swell in spring. So you need to spray now.

I'd spray either lime-sulfur or the copper material. But since you've had questionable results before with copper, maybe try lime-sulfur.

Dormant oil isn't effective against borer.

Last edited by fruitnut; 02-03-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM

Thanks FruitNut.
Do you have any experience in combining the Copper and Lime Sulfur to make Bordeaux spray?
Is there any issue timing it with the Superior Oil? Reading the label is says not to do it when leaves are on the tree but it "appears" to be safe when dormant.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 03:57 PM

a little serenade when symptoms show clears up leaf curl right away in my experience.It also works well for bacterial spot. I do have to use a pesticide at petal drop for coddle moth and borers. Have you ever used neem oil to supress borers? just wondering if it would work.. I would love to be completly organic!

perhaps ill give a late winter application of serenade or copper to see if this helps at all, I live in nashville and we get quite a bit of humidity. argh.

Last edited by ESP; 02-03-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:42 AM

Default Leaf Curl Questions

I planted a Peach Tree in our San Jose California yard 4 years ago. The 1st and 2nd year were great. We did not have leaf curl. The tree drops its Peach fruit the 1st week of August. The tree's buds, blossom in early March.

Last year and this year we have leaf curl. We have heard this is because there were heavy March rains after the trees had leafed out.

Our neighbor has an older Peach tree which is only starting to blossom now after the rains. This tree does not get leaf curl.

Do we have the wrong tree for our yard (do we need a tree that does not bud until end of March or early April)?

At this stage of spring with our tree having lots of leaf curl what should we do?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:18 PM

There is nothing you can do to help curl after symptoms show. The infected leaves will fall off and usually the tree will be OK unless too many leaves are lost year after year. The infection occurs in late winter just as the buds start to swell. The tree must be sprayed prior to that point. So it's not rain after budding but before that causes infection.

Your choices are: get a variety that is resistant, spray in fall/winter as needed, or live with what you have. Spraying is not that hard. One fall and one winter spray gave complete control when I lived in CA.

The resistant trees are not related to budding date. The tissues are resistant to infection.

The only thing to do now is collect the infected leaves and dispose of them.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 PM

Default peach leaf curl

What does collecting the leaves infected by leaf curl actually do (good or bad)?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:32 AM

Default Peach leaf curl, removing affected leaves?

One of my peach trees, Eva's Pride, was pushing new growth when I started spraying my peach trees, so I skipped it. Now it's showing the peach leaf curl blisters on many leaves (25% or more). I've been pinching off the leaves that show any sign of blisters, thinking that this will prevent the infection from developing to the point where it starts creating new spores. Does this make any sense? The trees still small enough (2 years in the ground-six feet tall) so that it's doable, but I might end up picking off half of the leaves. Will the leaves grow back easily when the weather warms up, and is this a good idea to keep the infection under control and from spreading to six nearby peach /nectarine trees.

John
Old 04-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Default Peach Leaf Curl - Physical Controls & Management

From U. California IPM Online, Peach Leaf Curl:

Physical Controls (in the spring)
Although symptoms of leaf curl are seen primarily in spring as new leaves develop, there is little you can do to control the disease at this time. Some people remove diseased leaves or prune infected shoots, but this has not been shown to improve control. Normally, diseased leaves fall off within a few weeks and are replaced by new, healthy leaves, unless it is rainy.

If a tree is severely affected with peach leaf curl this can stunt its growth, so consider thinning fruit later in the season. Pruning in fall prior to applying any fungicides can reduce spore numbers overwintering on the tree and reduce the amount of fungicide needed. If leaf curl symptoms occurred on your trees in spring, be sure to treat the following fall and/or winter to prevent more serious losses the following year.

Management (in late fall and/or winter)
...treat trees with a fungicide every year after leaves have fallen. In cooler northern locations leaf fall usually is in late November. In warmer southern locations leaf fall can be as late as early January. Generally a single early treatment when the tree is dormant is effective, although in areas of high rainfall or during a particularly wet winter, it might be advisable to apply a second spray late in the dormant season, preferably as flower buds begin to swell but before green leaf tips are first visible.

(Overview of available sprays also included in the article.)

Craig

Tags
peach leaf curl