Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees  

Go Back   Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees > Home Fruit & Nut Growing > Home Fruit Growing - General

Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM

Default Anyone familiar with Nectarcots, Peachcots, and Nectacotums

Has anyone heard of Nectarcots (nectarine x apricot), peachcots (peach x apricot) and nectacotums (nectarine x apricot x plum cross)?

Have you tasted them?

Craig, are these hybrids from Floyd Zaiger?

I read a few articles stating that Collins Family Orchards sells Nectarcots, while Tyny’s organic.com sells peachcots.

What about Nectacotums, here is where I am confused; farmers markets and supermarkets sell the Dapple Fire hybrid (U.S. Plant Patent #12409) as a pluot--plum x apricot hybrid, the patent only indicates that it is a peach x plum x nectarine hybrid. While a commercial grower markets it as a Nectacotum-- nectarine x apricot x plum hybrid…Melisas produce also sells a true nectarine x apricot x plum hybrid--nectacotum (not the dapple fire), is this fruit from Zaiger?

Article (Nectarcots)
Strange Fruit from Collins Family Orchard
http://www.seattlemag.com/article/st...family-orchard

Here is a picture of nectarcots.http://wallingfordfarmersmarket.word...ag/nectarcots/

Here is a picture of peachcots,http://wallingfordfarmersmarket.word...um-peach-cots/

Here is a picture of Nectacotums, http://www.melissas.com/Products/Pro...-Plumcots.aspx

Last edited by peaplum2; 02-17-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaplum2 View Post
Has anyone heard of Nectarcots (nectarine x apricot), peachcots (peach x apricot) and nectacotums (nectarine x apricot x plum cross)?

Have you tasted them?

Craig, are these hybrids from Floyd Zaiger?
So the simple answer is - it's just a name. You can call any hybrid whatever (so long as it's legally available) and stick it in a market. Whether it sells or not is what dictates whether the name sticks.

To my knowledge these, along with plumcots (Burbank's original hybrid creation), are not Zaiger specific brands. Collin's farms (or anyone else) can attempt to lay claim to whatever names they want...and if their hybrids work and become a hit, then the name might stick too. If not, it will disappear like the others before it.

The reality is that there are almost no universal standards here. A pluot is similar enough in makeup to a plumcot to be passed off as one in a store, and a plumcot could be passed off as a plum. In the end it's all marketing.

Here is a great older article on the confusion that is hybrid naming. And that was before we had all of these other hybrids available!

By the way, I had a nectarcot (looked just like the one in one of your links) up at the Bellevue Farmer's Market a couple years back. I remember that I was really excited to try it... and then was thoroughly unimpressed with the results. Struck me as a gimmick fruit, and never gave it another thought (until you just brought them back up).
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 AM

Lots of combinations with all of the stone fruits are possible. Like trying to cultivate a new cultivar it likely takes hundreds of trees and lots of time to get one that is felt suitable for commercial (or home orchard) customers.

Some will be as was described gimmicky. Others hopefully will be like the first time I tried a "pluot." Magical.

Bottom line . . . better things to worry about ... when it arrives I will look at it.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 PM

The people on weatherman's links don't know much about fruit. One said he was holding out for a nectapeach. Anyone that knows fruits would know that nectarine and peach are very closely related. Crossing them is just going to give some peaches and some nectarines as off spring. Nothing really new or different. Maybe they want a peach that goes bald as it matures???

Last edited by fruitnut; 02-18-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM

The peachcots featured on that blog could possibly be from the Zaiger family, but I am not sure… or they could possibly be from another breeder. But they do exist; Zaiger uses them as parents for some Pluots® and Apriums®. For instance, the Bella Rose Aprium® is a cross between a [plum x (plumcot)] x [apricot x (peachcot)] cross.
The Spring flavor Pluot® is also a (Plum×Plumcot×Peachcot×Apricot) cross. But I do not know if he has released his peachcots to commercial growers--DWN does not mentions anything about peachcots.

Source: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/CCL-PLT-180-p2.html

Last edited by peaplum2; 02-18-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperman View Post
Here is a great older article on the confusion that is hybrid naming. And that was before we had all of these other hybrids available!
iamSupperman:

Here is a similar article, It's a name game with hybrid fruits
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul...fruit-20100722

(Out of topic...let's talk about the pluerry)
If you click on the the photos link, photos number 6 and 27, there is a peach x plum x apricot x cherry hybrid, that could possibly be Sweet Treat Pluerry™.

For now, that is how I suspect the pluerry and the foliage would look like.

Last edited by peaplum2; 02-18-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitnut View Post
Maybe they want a peach that goes bald as it matures???
There is no laughing emoticon, and I find things like "LOL" to feel silly, but that was one of the funniest things I've read on a forum.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New fruit grower View Post
There is no laughing emoticon, and I find things like "LOL" to feel silly, but that was one of the funniest things I've read on a forum.
Thanks, I try usually with limited success....
Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitnut View Post
The people on weatherman's links don't know much about fruit. One said he was holding out for a nectapeach. Anyone that knows fruits would know that nectarine and peach are very closely related. Crossing them is just going to give some peaches and some nectarines as off spring. Nothing really new or different. Maybe they want a peach that goes bald as it matures???
I tried a nectapeach or peacharine from the supermarket. Fuzzy skin more like a apricot (so some people who object to the fuzzy skin of the peach would probably be OK with it), and less tart than a peach (sweeter) but otherwise had a peach flavor and texture and not a nectarine flavor/texture. Different cultivars, different results I expect.

Last edited by Fascist Nation; 02-19-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 PM

(By weatherman--my new screen name).

The peacharine that you bought originated from Kingsburg Orchards. They have the exclusive rights to sell that fruit. Their breeders are the Bradford family who also work on developing new varieties of hybrid stone fruits.

I have also eaten several peach x nectarine crosses, one of these fruits is the Arctic Jay nectarine a complex cross between several nectarine and peach varieties. Thanks to these gene pool, the Arctic nectarine inherited very delicious favors, high sugar content, excellent quality, which doesn't surprise me that it was been rated the Top one at DWN's fruit tastings (for the last ten years).

The nectarine is actually a fuzzless peach, it originated from the peach, in scientific terms, the nectarine originated as a point mutation where there was a change in allele count (frequency) from the original peach parent. This resulted in the deletion of a gene that produces fuzz on the skin (in peaches), thus making them look like as if they where a different variety of stone fruit.

Last edited by peaplum2; 02-19-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added new info