Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees  

Go Back   Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees > Home Fruit & Nut Growing > Home Fruit Growing - General

Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Pollination for Pluots + Aprium + Nectaplum

Iím planting several fruit trees in my yard and wanted to make sure I wonít have any pollination issues. My main question is this: will Flavor Grenade Pluot pollinate Flavor King Pluot? According to the order manifest for Armstrong Garden Center in La Habra (Orange County) Flavor Grenade can be pollinated by Flavor King, but I canít find an answer about whether Flavor King can be pollinated in return by Flavor Grenade.

I plan to plant in a single hole two Pluots and one Aprium. I plan to plant Flavor Delight Aprium, Flavor King Pluot and Flavor Grenade Pluot. Also in a separate hole I plan to plant Spice-zee Nectaplum and a Giant Babcock peach. All trees are self-fruitful except the Pluots, and the Aprium can benefit from pollination but doesnít need it. Will this plan take care of pollination for the Pluots? Will the Aprium be pollinated by any of these trees? Are there any problems with this plan?

Thanks for any advice and answers.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:51 PM

I really can't answer your question definitively because I have numerous pluot and plum. But my guess is that those two would cross pollinate. For me at least they bloom at the same time. Grenade always sets way too much fruit, about 90% needs to be thinned off. King sets a good crop requiring about 50% removal. Both get very big fruit if properly thinned so don't be afraid to take a lot off. With plum/pluot I find that the bigger the fruit gets the thicker it looks. If I left all the fruit on Flavor Grenade my tree would be crushed.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:38 AM

Thank you for the helpful information. I'm going to enjoy figuring out how much to thin off the trees...

I have finished my tree purchases now and look forward to getting them into the ground. I picked up a Flavor King Pluot, to polinate my Flavor Grenade and I picked up a Flavor Supreme Pluot to help polinate the Flavor King. I also picked up a Flavor Delight Aprium, a Spice Zee Nectaplum and a Giant Babcock peach tree. I hope that will take care of polination... Any idea how much fruit I should leave per branch on the trees when I thin them out?

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:10 PM

I like your choices. That should be enough pollen to get the job done for all. Another option would be to add a super-pollinator such as Santa Rosa Plum or Dapple Dandy Pluot. DD is an inferior fruit to other pluots and it is a mystery to me why it is so widely grown, though home growers at least have a chance to pick and eat it at ideal ripeness. However, the thing produces an incredible quantity of flowers over a long period and quite a few (hopefully edible) fruits as well.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:10 PM

Default pluots

Agree that Dapple Dandy isn't as good eating as some other pluot. Flavor Supreme also has problems but those center around pollination issues. I don't see why it would be recommended as a pollinator since many people report poor fruit set. My experience is that bees aren't attracted to the flowers. It sets very well if the bees will work the flowers but they sometimes don't. If the bees don't visit the flowers it's not a good pollinator.

I've tried Flavor Delight twice and found it lacking both times. But it is very productive. It must be good somewhere but not for me.

I find several of the older pluot lacking in eating quality or other important attributes. Those include Flavor Queen which is sweet but lacks flavor. I'm cutting it down after 7 crops. Dapple Dandy isn't all that sweet, lacks flavor, and I don't care for the texture. Flavor Supreme doesn't set but has very good fruit. These continue to be sold because they have name recognition both by the public and retailers. This is what DWN and retailers think will sell so that's what they offer.

The best pluot for me are Geo Pride, Flavor King, Flavor Grenade, Flavor Finale, and Flavor Treat. The later is not offered retail. My opinion is based on two crops in CA and 7 crops in my greenhouse in Texas. I've tried all the pluot commonly offered retail and about 15-20 not offered retail. I've got four new varieties that should fruit next year: Ruby Kat, Flavor Royale, Crimson Royale, and Honey Punch. I have high hopes for these but we'll see and they are not offered retail at this point. They can be purchased like I did, in bundles of 10 trees.

Last edited by fruitnut; 08-15-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:53 PM

I finally got my trees! It was hard to find them this time of year, so I didn't have a large selection for tree age. I think most of them will easily be topped at planting and are within the 1/2" and less size trunk/caliper. Two of the trees however are about an inch thick so slightly more than the recomended size for topping. Do you guys think that topping those trees to knee height will be a problem for the tree? Currently they are as tall as 7 feet or so and have some branching but I don't really like where the branches are. Any advice is helpful! Thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:45 AM

I've read in several places that Apriums are partially self-fertile, but produce more with an apricot around. I've never seen anything that indicates that FG pluot will pollinate FK pluot either. In both cases I would just graft in a known pollinator. Santa Rosa/Late Santa Rosa plum for the Flavor King and an early blooming apricot (Blenheim maybe) for the Aprium. Everything else should take care of itself.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:35 PM

Fruitnut, please keep us posted on your new varieties.....sure wish I could get a flavor royale. I will be planting 5 - 6 pluots this year....trying to pick the best possible so your advice is very valuable.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Default Dapple Dandy - always a fruit tasting favorite

Iím surprised that someone hasnít posted a defense of Dapple Dandy. Yes, like all fruits, it is at its best when picked at the right time, and, like many fruits, can lack intensity if past ripe or grown with too much water. Well-grown and tree-ripe, Dapple Dandy has balanced acid and sugar Ė tangy sweet Ė with a very pleasing fruity flavor. Itís always a favorite at fruit tastings. I still remember the exclamations of enjoyment at its first blind tasting.

The above posts regarding DD might simply reflect individual tastes in fruit Ė some people like super-sweet better than tangy-sweet; some folks donít care for tart fruit, while others do; some donít like the texture of soft-ripe fruits, etc. Many Asian people prefer mildly flavored, subacid fruits.

Several of the all-time favorites at the DWN tastings have been tangy-sweet, including Dapple Dandy Pluotô, Indian Free white peach, Flavor Supreme Pluot ô, Arctic Supreme white peach, Heavenly White nectarine and Lizís Late nectarine.

Another point that might help when evaluating new plantings: first crops on young fruit trees are often not representative. Strong, established trees give the best fruit.

Craig
Old 10-11-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Iím surprised that someone hasnít posted a defense of Dapple Dandy. Yes, like all fruits, it is at its best when picked at the right time, and, like many fruits, can lack intensity if past ripe or grown with too much water. Well-grown and tree-ripe, Dapple Dandy has balanced acid and sugar Ė tangy sweet Ė with a very pleasing fruity flavor. Itís always a favorite at fruit tastings. I still remember the exclamations of enjoyment at its first blind tasting.

The above posts regarding DD might simply reflect individual tastes in fruit Ė some people like super-sweet better than tangy-sweet; some folks donít care for tart fruit, while others do; some donít like the texture of soft-ripe fruits, etc. Many Asian people prefer mildly flavored, subacid fruits.

Several of the all-time favorites at the DWN tastings have been tangy-sweet, including Dapple Dandy Pluotô, Indian Free white peach, Flavor Supreme Pluot ô, Arctic Supreme white peach, Heavenly White nectarine and Lizís Late nectarine.

Another point that might help when evaluating new plantings: first crops on young fruit trees are often not representative. Strong, established trees give the best fruit.

Craig
Thanks Craig....any luck getting a Flavor Royale any wear near Sacramento?