Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees  

Go Back   Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees > Home Fruit & Nut Growing > Fruit Tree Varieties

Old 05-05-2010, 07:49 AM

Default low chill cherry rootstocks....hmmm

I finally pulled the trigger on the low-chill cherries (hopefully true). I did notice the Minnie Lee and Royal Lee were on different rootstocks for some reason. I am wondering why??? I did buy them at different nurseries because my favorite nursery did not have the one. Any thoughts on this??? (Mazzard and Colt)
Old 05-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Anyone in SE Texas (Houston area) have any experience with Minnie Royal or Royal Lee bearing well? I'm thinking of picking these both up at one of next year's bareroot fruit tree sales.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:38 AM
New Registered User

Default planted one of each 2/2011

i planted both in same hole about 2 feet apart.
got mine from arbor gate tree sale.
tim
8b
Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timclymer View Post
Anyone in SE Texas (Houston area) have any experience with Minnie Royal or Royal Lee bearing well? I'm thinking of picking these both up at one of next year's bareroot fruit tree sales.
I've seen reports of them doing well, but nothing in person so as to be actually sure of the veracity of them. The big problems is likely to be the soil where you are. Pots may be your best option.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:47 PM

The Royal and Minnie seem to be much better than my 2 Lapins. I might rip out a Lapin and put in the Royal and Minnie.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:44 PM

For 3 years now my Royal Lee and Minnie Royal flower at different times. The Royal Lee usually flowers about 1 month later than the Minnie and so no pollination occurs. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:57 PM

The problem my friend had this year was all of the rain during bloom time. He ended up with no cherries, my lapins are now flowering with no rain in sight. But only the standard produced flowers this year. The semi dwarf had no flowers this year, but had a few fruit and flowers last year. I am thinking about ripping them out and just adding more plums and peaches.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputinj View Post
The problem my friend had this year was all of the rain during bloom time. He ended up with no cherries, my lapins are now flowering with no rain in sight. But only the standard produced flowers this year. The semi dwarf had no flowers this year, but had a few fruit and flowers last year. I am thinking about ripping them out and just adding more plums and peaches.
Do what you want, but I've waited too long for low chill cherries to give up too easy. It was over thirty years ago that I visited Floyd Zaiger and asked him about low chill cherries. He said he was working on it. So far there is too much promise shown on mine to even consider giving up. If you can't guess, I really love good cherries.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
Do what you want, but I've waited too long for low chill cherries to give up too easy. It was over thirty years ago that I visited Floyd Zaiger and asked him about low chill cherries. He said he was working on it. So far there is too much promise shown on mine to even consider giving up. If you can't guess, I really love good cherries.
I am just an impatient person, I pulled out an Asian Pear that did not do well after 5 years, dropped 90% of fruit, so now I have a red Baron. I might just graft pieces of minnie and royal lee to my lapins. I decided not to pull out my Lapin.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 PM

I forgot for a moment that Minnie and Royal Lee are on patent so I will not be grafting them on to my Lapins, maybe I will just have to buy both of them