Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees  

Go Back   Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees > Home Fruit & Nut Growing > Fruit Tree Varieties

Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 PM

Default Varieties I would appreciate being able to order

I would particularly appreciate being able to order several early and late varieties that I have read are good for a home orchard.

For example, I would love to plant the following;

On the early end;

Honey May Nectarine

On the late side;

Flavor Treat Pluot
Arctic Snow Nectarine

I live in oroville, ca which is 9B.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 AM

I think some more cherries need to be realized that will line up with either royal lee or minnie royal. I really want to add a pair of cherries but I am space limited and cant afford to have 2 trees where only their will be pollination issues.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 AM

Default Flavor fall pluot

I would also love to have access to a flavor fall pluot.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 AM

Some thoughts I would like to pass on.

I'm in zone 6 and we can handle mid to late October ripening fruit trees.
Also I like picking raspberries in early November, like I did last year. As long as the weather holds out. The first heavy frost also sweetens all fruits, half ripe raspberries taste sweet afterwards. Great to add to jam recipes for the high pectin!
PF Fashionably Late peach is going on the market and ripens 54 days past Redhaven (Aug 1st).

The Northwest nurseries have been using extreme dwarfing root stocks, which for whatever reason the Midwest and southern nurseries are not doing. So the Pacific Northwest nurseries like Raintree have developed a huge Midwest customer base. These customers now have tried many pluots and are reporting some rated to zone 7 grow well in zone 5. They obviously were not rated correctly. Raintree has also adapted the trees for better Midwest sales by using Lovell rootstock on some, which is a better choice than citation due to the nematode infected sandy soils in some Midwest areas. The east side of Michigan is clay so citation is OK, but I look for Lovell trees when you're talking peach/plum. Gisela 5 when talking cherries. This rootstock has one problem, branching has to be forced strongly by heading and bud pruning. Otherwise it is excellent!

In summation the Midwest is a huge market worth looking at. High chill hour varieties just for us would be fantastic, and the west coasters may want to try anyway, just like we are trying zone 7 trees in zone 5 and 6.

Many new cherries for our area are being developed as self pollinating by crossing pollinator needed cultivars with self pollinators. Such as White Gold which is self fertile, but very much like it's one parent Emperor Francis ( Emperor Francis X Stella). I would not develop varieties that need pollination for the obvious problems of cross pollination. White Gold is an amazing tree for our area, I think one of the best. Black Gold also!(Stark® Gold x Stella). Glacier self fertile is a little soft, crossing with a harder cherry would be great! Probably even commercial. It tastes better than Bing!
Michigan and Washington both grow a lot of cherries and the Universities in these states have huge databases of info worth checking out.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Since you like raspberries Drew, you might also consider an "Oscar" fruiting mulberry tree. Considered by some mulberry connoisseurs to be the best mulberry, its berries taste like tart raspberries when red and are soooooo sweet when black. Prolific producer of fruit. Imagine they would bake well too. Can confirm their taste in Phoenix. Some of the first fruit of the season.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 AM

Im on board for another low chill cherry or two... The royal lee and mini royal are about 2 weeks off in bloom time and I have yet to have flowers on both trees at the same time... They are still young and only had a few blooms last year.... so I am hoping for my first tast this year... but still most flowers wont get pollanated if they dont bloom colser togeather! the trees are about 8' now even with pruning so here is to hoping for my first cherries but I would LOVE to have another from the royal line